History of Facebook and Facebook Pages
- Facebook is a social networking service launched in February 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg.
- The website was initially limited by the founders to Harvard students, but was expanded to other colleges in the Boston area, the Ivy League, and gradually most universities in Canada and the United States, corporations
- By September 2006, Facebook allowed everyone of age 13 and older with a valid email address
- In the past 10 years, Facebook developed many popular features in its platform such as Like, News Feed, Chat, Location, Timeline, Facebook Pages etc
- The feature “Facebook Pages” was introduced in 2007, which are specialised profiles for brands (companies, organizations, and celebrities). The Fan Page has a personalised look and feel but offer additional features such as the ability to quickly send messages to thousands of fans
- Total number of Facebook users: 1.26 billion / Total number of Facebook pages: 50 million
Who uses it— companies, organizations, and celebrities
Where is it used in the World
Facebook Pages is an important branding tool used throughout the world except that is blocked in few countries. The top three countries using Facebook Pages are United Stated, India and Brazil.
How it is used today in Marketing
Since Facebook users are with varied ages and background, creating a Facebook fan page is an amazing way to promote your business, build awareness for a cause, gather support for your band, or to advertise in a number of other ways. It is cheaper than any other promotion tools especially for small business starters.
- Current customers or even potential customers can become fans of your page, and receive any updates that you post to your page.
- Every time someone becomes a fan of your page all of their friends see that they have become a “fan.” This often attracts other followers as well as creates a buzz.
- You can modify your settings to control how much or how little power your fans have to post information.
- Engage consumers by holding campaign in fan page
Benefits of Having a Facebook Fan Page
- Infinite Fan Count— Unlike the 5000 limitation friends on personal profile page, Fan Page can have an unlimited number of fans, which can enjoy a larger fan base for company promotion.
- Search Engine Results—Some of the Facebook Fan pages’ content is indexed, which can be shown up on the search engines then direct traffic to the company’s website through this social media.
- Facebook Insight—It provides Page owners with metrics about their content. You can tack the amount of views a post receives and monitor your weekly reach all within the Facebook Insights. By analysing consumer behavior of the content, it helps company to create better experience on Facebook.
- Advertising—Advertising on Fan Page is very targeted and effective than outside landing page because Facebook wants to keep the traffic within the network.
- Newsfeed Marketing—The regular updates on Fan Page are seen and noticed on the newsfeeds of your fans and when they interact with your page, their friends can see these on the newsfeeds. A good way to gain new fans.
- Comment as Your Brand— When you Like pages officially to your Fan Page, you can comment on their content and posts as well. This helps increasing exposure for your brand and providing insight and conversations with a new audience
Why You should use Facebook Fan Pages over Personal Profile
- Unlimited “friends” and pages in different topics
- Separate personal life from business promotion
- Look more professional on Facebook Fan Page for business
- Access to advertising and promotion
- Easier to manage the pages by assigning roles to different mangers
LEARN MORE ABOUT FACEBOOK FANPAGES HERE (https://www.facebook.com/sea235DMT)